Youth and Texting
Cell phones provide some important practical benefits for youth. At the same time, media stories and reports to Cybertip.ca (Canada's national tipline for reporting the online sexual exploitation of children), indicate that many youth are engaging in high-risk behaviour. It is important to remember that connecting with others by cell phone has virtually the same risks as connecting by computer.
Texting Statistics: Did you know?
- In September 2009, Canadians sent approximately 100 million text messages per day.
- In total, Canadians sent 3 billion text messages in September 2009.
- For the first nine months of the year, a total of 24.7 billion text messages were sent (from January 2009 to September 2009).
- This is up significantly from the previous year, when a total of 20.8 billion text messages were sent in 2008.
- Text message volumes have been doubling every year since text messaging was introduced in 2002.