What mobile phones can do
For a printer-friendly version of this information, click here.
Most mobile phones now have features beyond the ability to make and receive voice calls. The following functions are now available in many mobile phones:
- Bluetooth connectivity Bluetooth technology sends data from mobile phones to other nearby Bluetooth-enabled devices (computers, laptops, other mobile devices, etc.).
- E-mail and instant messaging (IM) capabilities Many mobile phones and smartphones (e.g. BlackBerry and PDA devices) have integrated email and IM capabilities.
- Global Positioning System (GPS) Using satellite technology, GPS-enabled devices can be located and pinpointed within a few metres, and can tell users where they are located on a map.
- Internet browsing Most mobile phones now have the ability to connect to the Internet.
- MP3 playback An MP3 is a digitized audio file, usually uploaded or downloaded through the Internet.
- Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) Developed from SMS technology, MMS enables users to include photos, audio or video files with their messages.
- Personal organizer functions Many mobile phones and smartphones contain calendars, contact lists and address books that are programmed directly into the phone and/or imported from (and synchronized with) a personal computer.
- Photo/video capability Many phones have built-in cameras capable of both taking pictures and recording video.
- Push To Talk (PTT) This service allows mobile phones to be used like walkie talkies with a set number of specific contacts, either locally or long distance, without incurring long distance charges.
- Radio Some mobile phones have the ability to play FM radio.
- Roaming The ability to obtain service in areas outside of the home location of the mobile phone.
- Short Message Service (SMS) Also known as text messaging or "texting," this function allows users to communicate with other users through brief, typed text.
- Speaker phone Users are able to talk to a caller using a hands-free function that puts the call on a speaker.
- Television Some newer phones have the ability to play television in real-time.
- Wireless modem This function allows a mobile phone to serve as a modem for a laptop computer, enabling wireless Internet access.